Do you want to find a career whereby you could taste the fruit of adventure? If it‘s so then why don’t you think about becoming a marine engineer? Nowadays, demand for marine engineers is increasing at a high pace. A marine engineer’s job is very interesting as well as challenging.
- What is IMU CET?
- Know about application fill up procedures
- How much is application fee?
- Get details regarding cut off
- IMU CET 2019: Important dates & events
- Want to know the syllabus?
- What is the eligibility criteria?
- What is the exam pattern?
- Are there any preparation tips?
- What are the reference books?
- Answer key for IMU CET
- Details regarding admit cards
- Process of counselling
Most of the times when we talk about engineering students tend to choose mechanical, software or electrical but engineering is beyond these limited options. One can get some amazing opportunities not in terms of their career but about life too. You might get a lesson of living in the most vulnerable conditions.
If you want to expel your career by designing and operating shipboards then you have to complete undergraduate courses in marine engineering from a recognised college or university. The IMU (Indian Maritime University) is known to conduct an entrance test for admitting students in different undergraduate degree programs.
What is IMU CET?
IMU is a government recognised university and so, it allows the students to strengthen their knowledge base in nautical science. So, if you are serious about marine engineering then you have to sit for IMU CET and also successfully appear in it otherwise you will not be able to fulfil your dream of becoming a marine engineer.
IMU CET is an important exam to build your career. The courses that one can avail by appearing for this exam includes B.Sc in Maritime Science, B.Tech in Maritime engineering, B.Sc nautical science, B.Tech in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering etc. Not only UG courses but even PG courses can also covered in this exam.
IMU basically organises this exam twice; once for the UG as well as PG programs and the other for M.Tech programmes. It is to be noted that CET is conducted only within India and only Indian candidates can participate. IMU CET is conducted mainly in the month of May or June. The questions that are asked in this particular test are basically based on the syllabus that has been covered in the 10+2. Nevertheless, one can only sit for IMU CET if he/she has completed their 10+2 in pcm subjects otherwise candidates will not be allowed to give this entrance test. This study is going to give detailed information about the exam for those who wish to appear for CET in the year 2019.
Know about application fill up procedures
The first step towards IMU CET is application forms. Applications forms will be available through online mode and students have to keep a watch on the official website of IMU. Forms will be issued around the month of April 2019. The university will give the details regarding the last date and other criteria.
It is to be ensured by the aspirants that forms are completed and none of the fields remain vacant as incomplete forms are liable to get rejected by the university. There will be some instruction given on the applications regarding the photos that are to be uploaded and the students need to be careful about it.
In case you are facing problems while understanding about the form fill up procedures then have a look at the following points:
- Log in to the official website of Indian Maritime university.
- You will find a link where you can find an application form.
- Candidates are required it fill up the personal as well as educational details in though spaces provided.
- After filling up the form you can upload your scanned photos as well as signature. Along with photos all the relevant educational certificates needs to be uploaded.
- Students have to download the printed forms so that it can be used for future purposes.
- As soon as your forms are submitted you will get notification either in your emails or on your phones.
How much is application fee?
Candidates need to pay their application fees to the university for proceeding with the process of registration. You can take look at the application fees for EAM CET which is mentioned below:
- The mode payment is both offline as well as online.
- The fee can be submitted with the help of credit or debit card or even through net banking.
- Application fees have been specified different for general and for the SC/ST candidates.
- General candidate have to pay a fee of rupees 1000 whereas 700 rupees is to be paid by the SC/ST candidates.
Get details regarding cut off
Cut off marks is regarded as the minimum percentage which decides whether an applicant is eligible for the marine engineering courses or not. So, you can understand how important it is to know the cut off marks. This cut off marks is solely decided by the university as per a given parameter. The parameter upon which it is decided includes the level of difficulty of the exam, total number of examinees who have qualified and the seat availability.
However, these parameters do not remain constant as it changes in accordance to different factors. All those aspirants who have given their IMU CET exam can appear for counselling only if they are able to obtain qualifying marks with the cut off. The cut offs will be declared along with the result so that the students can know whether they have qualified or not.
The cut off marks is published as per the ranking in different courses and it can be issued by the university on their website.
IMU CET 2019: Important dates & events
While sitting for any exam there are certain events like issue of admit cards or publication of results and other such events that are to be track down. These events can allow you to sit for your exam without any sort of worry. If you are finding it difficult to get proper knowledge regarding the events then you can memorise the given below dates thoroughly so that you do not miss any chance of appearing for IMU CET 2019.
|Significant Events||Know the Dates(2019)|
|Exam||Week 4th , May|
|Registration||Week 4th , March|
|Issue of admit card||Week 2nd , May|
|Registration(only for BBA course)||Week 3rd , June|
|Commencement of counselling(UG and PG)||Week 1st , June|
|Result||Last Week, May|
So, the above mentioned dates and the events can allow you to know about the significant events that can help you to collect your admit cards or fill up your application forms on time.
Want to know the syllabus?
Syllabus is perhaps the most crucial part that is to be considered by students before preparing for any exam. If a student wants to appear for this entrance test in order to get admission in the UG courses then their syllabus will be based on the 11th and 12th standard. There will be sections for general knowledge and students can easily answer the question as it is of plus 2 level standards.
However, separate syllabus is assigned by the university for each of the courses. Those candidates who want to pursue MBA will be given syllabus base on logic reasoning, data interpretation and there will be questions on quantitative ability. But in each of the courses English seem to be compulsory as it is present in the syllabus of each and every course.
For those who have taken up the M.Tech course have to cover subjects like mathematics, topics from Mechanical/Marine/ Naval Architecture. English is compulsory paper for the candidates who want to pursue M.Tech.
Know about the subjects
Students often get worried about the fact that what are the subjects that might give them high score in IMU CET. It is to be remembered that there are no specific subject that can help you to gain good score instead one need to prepare all the subjects that are specified in their syllabus.
Generally, the subjects that are covered in this entrance test are similar to that of 12th standard. IMU CET is only to be given by candidates who have passed their 12th board with pcm subjects. So, it is clear that a student have to prepare physics, mathematics and chemistry if they want to successfully appear in the IMU CET.
The questions that are asked are related to the CBSE or state board or ICSE board curriculum. So the students will so far not come across any problem while preparing for their exam.
What is the eligibility criteria?
Well, it is the quite important to get proper knowledge about the eligibility criteria as it will decide whether you are suitable for IMU CET or not. If we talk about the factors that are known to specify eligibility of a candidate then a large number of factors like age, educational qualification and some other factors are associated with it.
Physical fitness as well as good vision is most looked for in marine engineers. Suppose you have fulfilled the eligibility criteria or qualification and age but you failed to pass the medical test then you are not liable to sit for the exam.
Are you confused regarding the eligibility criteria? If yes, then don’t be because the following sections of the study will give a clear cut picture about the aspects that is to be keeping mind for fulfilling your future dreams of becoming a marine engineer.
The criteria for educational qualification have been formulated as per the courses. Here is a list of course and the educational qualification that are required to be fulfilled by the IMU CET aspirants.
For B.Tech and B.Sc
- If a candidate wants to pursue B.Tech or B.Sc degrees then he/she is required to score at least 60% in their pcm subjects.
- Score of English is considered separately and so the candidates are required to obtain minimum 50% marks in English.
DNS course (for nautical science)
- Students who are going to sit for this exam for DNS program then they needs to have B.Sc in electronics and physic should be a compulsory subject.
- Marks should not be below 60% otherwise he/she will not be held as eligible for the entrance test.
- Candidates who have completed their BE/B.Tech with at least 50% marks can be entitled as eligible for appearing in IMU CET.
For PG courses
- Candidates should have passed B.Tech in either naval architecture or marine engineering or mechanical engineering.
- He/she should score about 60% marks in their undergraduate course.
- If you have completed your graduation in civil or mechanical or naval architecture with 60% marks then you can sit for this entrance test.
- Candidates who wish to start up their career by pursuing MBA courses need to score about 50% marks separately in bachelor course as well as 50% marks in English.
- Minimum age that is required for appearing for this exam is 17 years.
- Those candidates who are 25 years old can also sit for this exam as it is the maximum age limit.
- Age of the candidates should be 17 years as on 17th July of 2019.
- For SC/ST candidates a relaxation of 5 years will be given.
- Medically fit candidates are only eligible for appearing for this exam.
- The criterion for the medical requirements ate only specified as per the guidelines set by DGS.
- Good vision quality is required for IMU CET.
- Binocular vision should be 6/6.
- Those who have opted for marine engineering should have vision quality of 6/12.
What is the exam pattern?
It is always better to get a thorough understanding about the question patterns and the total marks that are allotted to each of the questions. Candidates have to give the exam via online mode. The number of questions that are going to be asked in the examination for UG courses will be 200 and that for PG courses is specified as 120.
Questions will be in the pattern of objective type. Each of the questions will carry one mark. IMU CET is conducted for 3 hours. Marks will not be deducted in case you chose a wrong option.
Those candidates who are going to start with their preparation need to check the questions pattern as it will allow them to prepare according to the given pattern.
Are there any preparation tips?
Most of the students gets entrapped with the thought that how can they successfully appear for their IMC CET 2019. Although there is no such strict guideline for scoring good marks, however there are some tips that can help students to give their exams in a fruitful manner.
- Students can buy sample papers that are available in the book stores. It is definitely going to help them to get some guidance regarding the areas where they need to put emphasis on.
- Chalk out a study plan and prioritise your timings as per each subject.
- There will be a separate paper for general knowledge so the only way to qualify in this paper is by keeping a track on the latest news either through mass media or print media.
- While reading a topic one should make small notes so as to assimilate the important points. It will bring an ease to your preparation.
- The aspirants can even take advice from the candidates who have papered for 2018 IMU CET exam.
- Revise all the subjects take at least one week before the commencement of exam.
What are the reference books?
Students have the tendency to search on internet or began to join tuition classes for their exams. But, one should not buy any special books for preparing for IMU CET rather the books that have been prescribed by N.C.E.R.T in 12th standard.
Generally, the aspirants can go through the syllabus that they have covered while completing their 12th board exams. The reason being questions that are asked are quite similar to that of 12th board. It is always recommended to concentrate on the pcm subjects as questions are totally based on these three subjects.
One can simply follow books that are meant for engineering. You can even stick on to the syllabus of 10+2.
In case you are worried about your English or general aptitude then R.S Agarwal’s General English is capable of bringing good results.
Answer key for IMU CET
Answer key is mainly released just after the exam. It helps the examinees to know about the number of correct answers that they have attempted. This clearly indicates toward the fact that prior to the results candidates are able to understand where they actually stand.
Answers keys are perhaps the best way to remove any sort of disparity. It often happens that students feel that they are being marked unethically. However, with the help of answer keys all such discrepancies take a plunge.
Candidates are able to download the answer keys that are published on the official site of IMU and match their answers with that of the official answers.
Check your answer keys
Now, you might be thinking that how to check the answer keys. It can be checked just after the exam it is published on the official site of IMU.
Have a look at the procedures that can be followed for checking your answer key.
- Go to the website of IMU CET which is imu.edu.in.
- Candidates will be able to view a link of answer key.
- Click on that link.
- Students are required to verify the exam and then download the answer key.
- Take out a print copy of the answer.
Suppose the answers that are published by the official turns out to be wrong then the students can in fact challenge them. For challenging you have to maintain certain procedures otherwise your challenge will not be accepted. It is mandatory to submit all the requited proof for your claim to the authorities.
Details regarding admit cards
Admit cards are like a green card for the candidates who will have to give a full stop to their dreams. The university will issue the website and candidates have to download them. However, it is to be noted that none of the candidates will be given admit cards via post.
After your application forms are successfully send to the concerned authority you will receive a mail which will specify that you can download your admit cards. It is quite important that the emails that a candidate has provided to the university are to be checked regularly as you might miss the date of admit card in case you does not keep an eye on your email accounts.
How to download admit cards?
As it is mentioned earlier that admit cards are available on the websites so student are required to download them.
Here are few steps to be followed for downloading your admit cards.
- Go to the website of IMU CET.
- You have to go to the candidate log in window.
- Candidates are required to fill up relevant details that include password and user id.
- As soon as you complete with the filling up process the log in button is to be clicked.
- With clicking log in button admit will appear on the screen.
- The aspirants have to print the admit cards because they might require it at the time of admission.
Process of counselling
After the students obtain qualifying marks in IMU CET they can go for counselling. In order to take part in the counselling processes the candidates have to register online. Seat will be allotted to the students on the basis of their ranks.
Alongside rankings other factors like course selection and seat availability are some other considerations that are followed.
Prior to selecting a graduate or undergraduate programme the students have to pay 10,000 rupees for counselling.
Some frequently asked questions:
Q1) is the application form available offline?
Ans. No, forms can be availed only through online mode.
Q2) what is the application form fill up procedure?
Ans. You need to fill up the form by visiting the official site of IMU CET.
Q3) is there any specific age limit for the UG courses?
Ans The minimum age limit is 17 years and the maximum limit is 25 years.
Q4) can I know the last date for applying for IMU CET?
Ans. Candidates can apply till second week of May.
Q5) what is the marks for correct answer?
Ans. One mark will be assigned for each correct answer.
Q6) how much marks will be deducted for wrong answers?
Ans. There is no negative marking.
Thus, all your questions might have been answered in this study. All those who are going to appear for their IMU CET should prepare themselves for the exam and should concentrate on the syllabus prescribed in their 10+2.